Meanwhile, before his family settled in Enugu in about June 1969, Peter was conscripted earlier in the year to join the fledgling administration of the East Central State, led by Mr. Ukpabi Asika, as a director in the Ministry of Education. He had the responsibility to help plan for the restoration of education services, following the anticipated cessation of hostilities. Peter would be one of the leaders to help prepare the Igbo for reintegration into a united Nigeria. However, a fateful day in late 1969, Peter fell off from a Range Rover jeep being driven by his friend and neighbour at his Alderton Road residence in the GRA, known as Mr. Willy, a Yoruba. He was seated in the back, not knowing his door was not locked.

The accident happened at the Enugu Prison roundabout. It took some time before he realized he had sustained internal injury at the back of the neck, even longer before an x-ray showed it was a spinal cord injury. Even then, he continued to walk about and run his normal schedule, not realizing the gravity of his condition. He had, in fact, sustained a partial tear in his spinal cord, and would have fully recovered if he had received the appropriate medical attention. He would have needed complete immobilization of his neck and entire spine for several weeks, which would have allowed the spinal cord to heal. Unfortunately, he continued to ambulate, thereby converting the partial injury to a complete tear of the spinal cord. Because the injury was at a high spinal level, his condition deteriorated, and he gradually suffered paralysis in both arms and legs, and became quadriplegic. He was then placed in a wheel chair while undergoing treatment at the Specialist Hospital (later UNTH), Enugu. While in sick bed, he received a letter of offer of scholarship from a Russian university for further studies, to study medicine, or perhaps for a doctorate in Physics, which he hoped to take up after recovery.

Unfortunately, his health declined, due to complications related to paralysis, and he had to be ferried to the University College Hospital in Ibadan. Chief Mathias Onovo recalls that it was the government that funded their trip to Ibadan, with their flight tickets to Ibadan personally signed by the Commanding Officer of the Army Division in Enugu, given Peter’s high position. While at Ibadan, Peter was visited by his friend Mathias, his nephew Mathew Nwobodo, and fellow son-in-law, Chief Emmanuel Onyia Okereke (Orabuike). He died on 12th March, 1970, just before his 40th birthday. His death, so soon after the civil war, was a very tragic event in a community that was reeling from the devastations and scars of the war.

Chief Okorie Ekenta and Ignatius Chukwu also died at the tail end of the war, adding to the general anguish in Umuokorouba. Notable young men of Okorouba like Mathias Onovo, Donatus Udeigwe, Andrew Nkwonta, Nwachukwu Ekenta and others, played prominent roles in seeing to his burial at home, with the assistance of the Ministry of Education. He was survived by his young family, his wife Margaret Nebechi Nwomeh, then only 23 years, and his children Angela (7 years), Ben (5 years), Ijeoma (3 years), the twins Dan and Edy (11 months), his aged mother, Udeji and sisters, Nwanneche and Nweke.